The Naptime Entrepreneur: Pursuing Your Business in 'Off Hours'

The Naptime Entrepreneur: Pursuing Your Business in 'Off Hours'By
Working around a baby’s schedule to build a business sounds crazy, but it has worked for me. When you have your first child, everyone tells you to “sleep when the baby sleeps,” but I worked while the baby slept.
Plenty of other entrepreneurs take a similar strategy, working hard at day jobs and then building their business during nights, weekends and vacations instead of relaxing and recharging.

My company has grown from a basic wedding blog to a full-fledged brand that continues to grow. RusticWeddingChic receives 1.5 million visits a month, and I’ve written three books and built relationships with major national brands as the web’s top resource for rustic and country weddings.
Whatever your situation, when building a business with restrictions on your time, there are a few key principles to keep in mind to build your business.
When it’s work time, it’s work time. When I was starting out, I used to try to sneak in an email response on my iPhone at the playground, but I would either miss important information in the emails or not fully form my thoughts -- answering an email while distracted isn’t good business. Most emails can wait until you’re in business mode and in front of your computer.
Having limited time to work also keeps me focused on doing actual work-related activities. I don’t shop online, check Facebook or read the news. I love to bounce around the internet, but when the work clock starts, I’m all business.
Know your tipping point. As your business grows, chances are it’s going to demand more of your time. Be aware of your tipping point -- the moment when you need to hire help or clear more of your calendar to move your company forward.
For me, that meant hiring a sitter for a few blocks of time per week so that I could take phone calls with my publisher and get uninterrupted work time. For you, that might mean cutting back to part-time hours or consulting in order to open up availability of regular business hours for your own company.
A burnt-out entrepreneur is a lousy entrepreneur. In the early days, I spent lots of nights and weekends building my brand, but today I reserve that time for my family (though the occasional nighttime work session certainly sneaks in, and I always try to do press appearances or have partner meetings during vacations). Go hard while you have to, but know when to scale it back.
I’ve found that time with my family isn’t a distraction; it actually adds to my success. My husband, who’s also a writer, understands my time restrictions and the challenges of running a business. Some of the best ideas I’ve had have come from dinner conversations or walks. Talking about your business with family and friends can help inspire you while keeping you connected and balanced.
Work smarter, not longer. You often hear, “Work smarter, not harder,” but I choose to work smarter, not longer. Since starting my business,>>>

Commentaires